I don’t write very often.
When I do, I admit it’s usually to vent.
Nothing inspired by art or grace or whatever. Just raw emotions I usually try to put at
bay, but that I can’t ignore any longer.
Here’s the thing today and usually, lately: I miss my mom. She’s still here. I can talk to her, see her, hug her, kiss
her—and my favorite—I can still hold her hand.
But she’s not really
here. I guess that means I’m lucky and
unlucky at the same time.
A childhood friend posted the other day on Facebook: “What are you thankful for today?” I never posted a response, but I did think
long and hard about it. I thought about
Sandy Hook, I thought about Boston, I thought about Colorado, and places far
away that I hear about on NPR after I drop my kids off at school in the morning—once
the car is quiet and they’re out of earshot—and I thought: How blessed am I? Why do I sometimes feel so sad when I have
every reason to be happy? In spite of
tragedies near and far, I feel safe in my home and in my hometown. I have great kids. I love my husband and still think I made the
right choice after 13 years of marriage.
I get to travel with my family to “safe” and beautiful places that I
only dreamed of dreaming about as a kid.
I am truly thankful for all of these things, so what do I have to be sad
about? I think about it all and I tell
myself to be glad. I am so lucky. Really,
I am. I have 3 beautiful, healthy, and kind children. I love everything about my life. And I honestly think if could click “pause”
on my life—I’d do it right now.
But back to my mom.
My heart aches for those who lose their mothers too soon. Words can never capture the comfort my mother
brought me as a child, or the compassion she taught me as I grew from a child
into an adult. She had come so far in
her own life that she was everything a kid could need in a mom. She had a troubled childhood, but she had
learned a lot about human nature from that experience. She was street smart. Most of my siblings and I have a gut-instinct
about people that comes directly from her.
You get a vibe…you DON’T DOUBT IT.
Trust your gut. Period. She may never have finished college but she
could call bullshit more quickly and accurately than most college graduates
(and professors) I know. Above all else,
her resounding message was this: never
love money; always love God and each other. I can’t imagine who I’d be today if
I hadn’t had her there every step of the way.
Sometimes, though, her strength of character could be a bit
much. There wasn’t any gray area in her
book. I admit there were times when I didn’t feel
like picking up the phone when she rang because I knew her so well I could
anticipate the conversation before it took place. Selfishly, there were times when I just wasn’t
in the mood.
Over the past 6 years, the every other day calls and the “did
you go to church today?” check-ins have completely dwindled away. I never thought I’d miss the latter, but I
do. At first the calls just slowed down--became
less and less frequent. And then they
were gone. I sometimes get slightly jealous of my husband
and my friends whose moms are older than mine but who are still vibrant,
interactive, and helpful with their children.
In their mothers’ faces, I see all the pride, joy and wonder that I used
to see in my mom’s face when she got to see her grandkids. My kids can’t remember that. They know that “Mimi is sick,” and they love
her and hug her and smile at her, but they don’t fully understand that she
doesn’t know who they are. I can always
tell them how much she loves them, how excited she was when each of them was
born, and how she came to help out and how much she loved holding them when
they were babies.
I can and often do remind them of the person she was. “You
think I’m strict? Well let me tell you
what Mimi would have done….” And in the
back of my mind I’m also thinking, “if this happens to me, please always remember
the good and bad of me for each other and for your kids too. And when you are grown and feel at times like
there’s nothing else you have in common, remember me and always let that be reason enough to love each other no matter what.”
And so it is that sometimes I get sad because although I’m a
grown woman, I will always be my mother’s daughter. And sometimes I miss her just like I did as a
kid on the few occasions she was absent due to her own father’s illness. This woman who knew real fear as a child
understood how to put it at bay in her own children. The comfort that the touch of her hand brought
me as a child, my hand now brings her as an adult. Even when her eyes don’t
recognize me, our hands’ embrace always makes her smile. I’m thankful that she and I can still share
that, and in spite of everything I miss about her…that makes me smile too.

No comments:
Post a Comment