@ Schloss Colmberg

@ Schloss Colmberg
Rainy Day Fun at Schloss Colmberg, June '10

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Great Progress Ice Skating Until...(revised)




























Well,  yesterday marked our third straight day of hitting the ponds. We've visited a different pond every day, and found one that we especially liked yesterday afternoon. We skated for an hour or so, took pictures (we'll post those soon), and skated some more. The kids have made great progress, and they were mesmerized and inspired by a pickup game of co-ed hockey that was going on on the other side of the pond. They're getting steadier on their feet daily, but most importantly, they know how to fall gracefully.  The grownups?  Not so much.

Robert and I had a lot of fun relearning old tricks.  Our fun stopped abruptly when I hit a stick that was frozen into the pond as I was "brushing up" on skating backwards. I fell backwards and hit my head on the ice and proceeded to get up prematurely as if nothing happened, then fell forward and hit my brow bone on the ice too.  I guess I've seen Rocky way too many times (Robert's a big fan), so I tried to get up again. This time Robert got to me in time to keep me seated on the ice.  When the kids started screaming, I realized they weren't just scared because I fell, they were scared because I was bleeding (and slurring my speech), so we headed to the hospital.  I'm fine. I have a glued eyebrow and a mild concussion (and a sore head and neck).  As we left the emergency room, Robert explained to the kids that "Mommy needs some rest, so we're all going to be very quiet." They were very understanding and contemplated that for a few seconds.  Then Stella asked in a very concerned voice, "But Mommy, can you still cook?"  The boys chimed in "Yeah Mommy, can you?"  I guess they take after their me...always concerned about their next meal;-)

Anyway, Robert is a perfectly accomplished cook (and grillmeister), so we're all in very good hands. Rest assured none of us in this land of pork sausages will go hungry!!










2 comments:

  1. Ouch.... Glad you are OK. And MORE IMPORTANTLY, glad Robert can cook!!! This reminded me of when Sydney fell and hit her head at an ice skating party. She asked me about 50 times on way to Hospital "Daddy, when are we going to the party?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally! Our first comment!!! I've been thinking this blog was all for naught. Yeah, Robert was pretty frazzled when I couldn't answer a question straight, but it all turned out ok. The emergency room experience is a longer story...I'll save that one for later ;-) Hi to all!!

    ReplyDelete